Still quilting!

Hello to anyone who checks in.

Here is a link to my Instagram,

Instagram

I hope you are doing well, and that last year was a wonderful year for you.

George and I are still happily living our lives. We try to walk as much as possible hoping to stay healthy while trying not to getting sunburns. The sun here in New Orleans is definitely a lot brighter than back home in Maine. I should rewrite that sentence. The sun here, at home in New Orleans, is a lot brighter than back in Maine. I try to remember that even in December sunscreen is necessary. I got a sunburn last week at the zoo, even though I'd worn SPF 60! If I forget to wear sunscreen when I walk George I get a small sunburn on my arms and on my bald spot even though we only walk for about 40 min.

A few years ago, I decided to go to graduate school. I'll be graduating in May. During my breaks, I get time to make quilts. I'm working on string quilts this break. Making string blocks brings back a lot of great memories. While making quilts this break, I got to empty two small boxes of fabric scraps as well as use up some scraps Id recently been gifted. I have a little time left in my break and hope to accomplish a lot more quilting.

Today, I'm working on putting together scrap quilt backs. I usually have a hard time deciding what fabrics can be forfeited from my stash to go on the back of quilts. Most fabrics possess something charming to me and delegating fabrics to the back of quilts can feel sad, my brain judgmentally saying "You're not pretty enough for the front..." like fabrics have feelings. I love piecing quilt backs with random mismatching fabrics, though, because mismatching and clashing fabrics are special to me. I love bohemia. I make compromises on the fronts of quilts hoping to sell them. The backs can be my own break from the formality of quilt rules and "design for sale" choices. So far today I finished one backing. Id like to put two more together before I take a break from putting backs together and let myself play with the string blocks again. I have the riot of fabrics out. There are cars, florals, plaid sheets, scraps from other quilt backs that were made too large - all the pieces will go together to make a glorious mosh pit of pattern and color. Hiding out on the back of a more subtle quilt front. It is all very romantic to me.

George is begging for more treats. He has had a very good holiday season and its time to start to cut back on his goodies.

Lets all enjoy the romance of knowing that the face we have to wear every day doesn't have to be "us" that lives behind that story. Today the real story is on the back of the quilt, I won't even mind if nobody ever looks to see it.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free motion quilting -